Posted: December 10th, 2022
Creation of a mystery religion or researching a historical religion
Here is a guide/prompt to help you with this project; please read carefully:
You need to know what can be gained or was gained from your group before you start with anything else. What is the gnosis, the special knowledge that is to be known or gained? Is it a mystery about life or death, or is it some knowledge necessary to the role one is to play in their society? Remember the question, “What is a mystery worth knowing, or experiencing?” You need to understand Victor Turner and the chapter on ritual, as well as the Joseph Campbell chapter, “The Importance of Rites.” If you did not read “The Importance of Rites” due to time constraints, you will need to read it. I went over the pertinent information in my PowerPoint demonstration.
The function of rites along with the axiomatic concepts found in Turner should fuel your creation or research. Here are some of the main concepts to take into consideration, both optional information and non-optional information. Non-optional must be included in your writing while optional may give you more points if you show an understanding and familiarity with the terms:
Exegetic, operational, and positional are concepts that denote types of information. The Rites of passage is the primary ritual that you are using the axiomatic concepts to describe and define.
You have three main options.
How to structure the assignment:
You need and introduction which deals with the essential questions of what your group is, how you are going to approach your paper from the options listed above, and then mention how the operational and positional perspectives work, making sure to mention where exegetic information originates. These three divisions are the axiomatic concepts you will use to discuss the three basic functions of any mystery religion. If you are writing this as a creative project, then this introduction can be separate from the main work, as mentioned above, as an introduction to me in order to keep the work itself flowing better. That is up to you.
Remember that the Rites of Passage are understood using the axiomatic concepts mentioned above. One way this could work, if you want to write this in essay form, is to use these three aspects as your three-pronged thesis statement, with exegetic information, positional, and operational details used to explain the significance of each of the three divisions of the Rites. You could, on the other hand, use exegetic, positional and operational as your three prongs discussing separation-aggregation in each prong. It is also fine by me if you use, with the body structure, bullet points, an outline, short story, a memoir, etc. Just as long as you address these three concepts within the confines of your creation (the following is merely a few examples of the kind of information required to understand each of the three main concepts):
1. How do you get members (neophytes)? Who is good material for your particular group?
2. Once you define how you get neophytes, you then must illustrate if they need to wear something different in preparation for initiation, etc.
1. How does your group view the uninitiated that has at the same time been separated from society as a whole? What makes this the threshold period?
2. List and describe in detail your initiation rites and how this relates to becoming a member of this group, or how these steps transition a person into a new phase or function within a society. How many steps, what are these steps, etc.
1. Once the initiation period has been dealt with, then you need to tell me what is gained with being taken as an equal member in this mystery.
2. Does being a member mean …? You tell me. Is there ever a time when a member can rejoin society, or are they similar to a priestly class. Are they ostracized from society, or is participation in typical society expected?’
Last thing you will write is a concise conclusion telling me what you think can be gained from this type of analysis. Even if you write a fictional account, you need to conclude with what significance as a reader I should take from your assignment.
This assignment is 4 page minimum, but if you could do more than that, it will be wonderful. Also, please be knowledgable in this area, as i will ask you alot of question, so be prepared, you also have to read the pages in the book i scanned, i will email the pages to you when we reach an agreement and you use quotes from it, no exceptions, outside sources are ok
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.