Posted: November 25th, 2022
Project : film & theory paper
This project will involve applying the three sociological theories (conflict theory, structural functionalism, and symbolic interactionism) to a film or TV show of your choice.
For this project, you must write a 2-3 page double-spaced analysis of a video. You need to:
- Pick a film or TV Show
- Provide a short summary of your film/TV show (What is the video about? Clarity is important!)
- Separately, explain how conflict theory, structural functionalism, and symbolic interactionism would view/interpret your film/TV show. Thoroughly explain using sociological concepts/terms.
- Which paradigm do you think is most represented in your film/TV show? Explain.
How to Submit Your Project
You will submit your work here in the CANVAS system as a Word 97-2003, .docx or other wordprocessing file (Google Docs, Open Office are also acceptable).
- Film/TV Show Summary: 5 points (Clarity is important)
- Interpretation of Conflict Theory, Structural Functionalism, and Symbolic Interactionism: 10 points (must be thorough)
- Most Represented Paradigm: 5 Points (Explanation of selected paradigm: why did you select your particular paradigm? How does your paradigm explain your video/DVD? Thoroughly explain).
- Usage of sociological concepts: 5 points