Posted: October 2nd, 2021
Applying ethical principles (case study: the missing needle protector)
Develop a solution to a specific ethical dilemma faced by a health care professional by applying ethical principles. Describe the issues and a possible solution
. Access the Ethical Case Studies media piece to review the case studies you will be using for this assessment.
- Select the case most closely related to your area of interest and use it to complete the assessment.
- Note: The case study may not supply all of the information you need. In such cases, you should consider a variety of possibilities and infer potential conclusions. However, please be sure to identify any assumptions or speculations you make.
- Include the selected case study in your reference list, using proper APA style and format. Refer to the Evidence and APA section of the Writing Center for guidance.
- Summarize the facts in a case study and use the three components of an ethical decision-making model to analyze an ethical problem or issue and the factors that contributed to it.
- Identify which case study you selected and briefly summarize the facts surrounding it. Identify the problem or issue that presents an ethical dilemma or challenge and describe that dilemma or challenge.
- Identify who is involved or affected by the ethical problem or issue.
- Access the Ethical Decision-Making Model media piece and use the three components of the ethical decision-making model (moral awareness, moral judgment, and ethical behavior) to analyze the ethical issues.
- Apply the three components outlined in the Ethical Decision-Making Model media.
- Analyze the factors that contributed to the ethical problem or issue identified in the case study.
- Describe the factors that contributed to the problem or issue and explain how they contributed.
- Apply academic peer-reviewed journal articles relevant to an ethical problem or issue as evidence to support an analysis of the case.
- Discuss the effectiveness of the communication approaches present in a case study.
- Describe how the health care professional in the case study communicated with others.
- Assess instances where the professional communicated effectively or ineffectively.
- Explain which communication approaches should be used and which ones should be avoided.
- Describe the consequences of using effective and non-effective communication approaches.
- Discuss the effectiveness of the approach used by a professional to deal with problems or issues involving ethical practice in a case study.
- Describe the actions taken in response to the ethical dilemma or issue presented in the case study.
- Summarize how well the professional managed professional responsibilities and priorities to resolve the problem or issue in the case.
- Discuss the key lessons this case provides for health care professionals.
- Apply ethical principles to a possible solution to an ethical problem or issue described in a case study.
- Describe the proposed solution.
- Discuss how the approach makes this professional more effective or less effective in building relationships across disciplines within his or her organization.
- Discuss how likely it is the proposed solution will foster professional collaboration.