Posted: June 4th, 2021
Discussion post | CORRECTIONS AND PENOLOGY CJC3010 | University of Central Florida
Research an inmate program within a US correctional institution (i.e. jail or prison) and provide a summary. The program can be a behavioral, educational, vocational, parenting, substance abuse, or veteran program.
Please include the following in your summary:
- name and location of the institution
- facility details (i.e. size, average population, security level, type of institution, etc.)
- the program’s mission/purpose/goals
- criteria/eligibility of the program
- who oversees the program (line staff or professional staff)
- how long has the program been in existence
- length of program
- components of the program
- benefits of the program to the inmate, the community, and the corrections department
- incentives for the inmate to participate in the program
- success rates/recidivism rates of program participants
- number of inmates currently in the program and number who have completed the program
Also, include your overall thoughts and feelings about prison/jail programs? Some things that you can discuss:
- Do you think that they really benefit the inmate and the community? Why?
- Do you believe these programs are effective? If not, how could they be more effective?
- Do you believe that inmates should get free programming? If so, why and what types of “free services” or programs should an inmate receive while in prison? If not, why not?
- Do you think that participation in prison programs should be voluntary or mandated as an attempt to rehabilitate incarcerated individuals?