Posted: May 31st, 2021
The art and science of persuasion
Week 3 – Assignment
The Art and Science of Persuasion
Read (Cialdini, 2001). Consider this source as you complete the Assignment.
- Part I: Examples
- Assemble advertisements, commercials, or personal experiences/observations that illustrate each of the six fundamental principles identified in Cialdini (2001). Do not use examples from your textbook.
- Submit “Part I”, a separate document with the examples you located. Preferably, copy and paste print media examples, along with proper citation information; links are acceptable for broadcast or electronic media (television, internet, etc.). If neither images nor links are available (e.g., in the case of a personal observation or experience), a brief description will suffice. Label your examples clearly and provide a one paragraph explanation for each.
- Part II: A Social Psychological Analysis of _______
- Explain in-depth how social psychological principles of persuasion are relevant for one of your selected advertisements, citing relevant research. Relate characteristics of the communicator, the message, and the target audience.
- Formulate a plan to intentionally enhance persuasiveness. What are various alternative techniques one might employ effectively?
- Submit “Part II”, structured as a paper and written in APA style.
The Art and Science of Persuasion paper
Submitting to Grammarly:
Grammarly is your personal editor that can act as that second set of eyes and catch those errors before you submit your assignment. It takes approximately 5 minutes to set up an account and after that, you simply download your written submission and wait for the magic. This service is open 24/7, for you night owls hoping for a final proofread before submitting your work. Grammarly will then provide you with a detailed roadmap for improvement.
Before you submit your written assignment, review the tutorial, set up a Grammarly account (if you have not already done so), and use Grammarly to review a rough draft of your assignment. Then carefully review all issues identified by Grammarly and revise your work as needed.
To use Grammarly:
- Go to https://app.grammarly.com/ (and log in if needed).
- Click on “Upload” (located under “New”) and upload your paper.
- Grammarly will scan your paper for errors and issues.
- To read about the errors Grammarly found, click on the ▼expand button.
- To accept Grammarly’s suggestion, click on the green wording suggestion (if applicable).
- To ignore Grammarly’s suggestion, click on the “x” or the “ignore” button.
- Finally, once you have made all of your corrections, click on the ↓ downward arrow icon in the left navigation pane and select “Download.” This will create a Word document with your corrections. Note: You might have to remove or delete any lingering track changes or comment bubbles before submitting your paper.
Need writing help? The Writing Center offers 24/7 live chat and paper review to all students! Just click on the Writing Center tab in the left column of the classroom to access these services.
You can also email the Writing Center directly! .
We look forward to hearing from you!
The Learning Services Writing Center
Carefully review the for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.