Digital media and society | Information Systems homework help
Resourse to watch and read:
1. Digital Life in 2025 (web page) https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2014/03/11/digital-life-in-2025/
2. Intersection of American Media and Culture (web page) https://open.lib.umn.edu/mediaandculture/chapter/1-2-intersection-of-american-media-and-culture/
3. How Did We Get Here? The Evolution of Media (web page) https://open.lib.umn.edu/mediaandculture/chapter/1-3-the-evolution-of-media/
VIEW / WATCH
1. Digital Nation: Life on the Virtual Frontier – Chapter 1: Distracted by Everything
PBS Online Video Documentary Series – Chapter 1 (00:00 – 08:28 minutes | closed captioned)
Note: Start the video, then navigate to the 8:29-minute mark
2. Digital Nation: Life on the Virtual Frontier – Chapter 2: What’s It Doing to Their Brains?
(PBS Online Video Documentary Series – Chapter 2 (08:29 – 16:05 minutes | closed captioned)
Note: Start the video, then navigate to the 8:29-minute mark.
Topic 1: Digital Media
This week, you watched Digital Nation: Life on the Virtual Frontier Chapter 1: Distracted by Everything and Chapter 2: What’s It Doing to Their Brains?
Professor Turkle believes that students are wrong to think that a “multitasking learning environment” will help them succeed as students. She believes that in order to learn certain things, we need to be still, quiet and focused on one thing at a time.
Do you agree with the professor’s opinion? Is it possible to learn while multi-tasking? Why or why not? NOTE: The focus here is learning and multitasking while using digital media.
Topic 2: Digital Media’s Impact on Society
This week you read “Intersection of American Media and Culture“, which explained how different technological transitions have shaped media industries.
How has technological developments in radio, television, the Internet, OR newspaper (SELECT ONE) influenced mass communication? Support your response.
Topic 3: Digital Future
This week you read Digital Life in 2025 by Janna Anderson and Lee Rainie.
Anderson and Rainie summarized 15 theses about the digital future of which eight were classified as more hopeful.
Which ONE of the eight “hopeful” theses do you see as the most hopeful? Explain your choice.
Minimum Topic Response: PLEASE RESPOND IN THREE OR MORE SENTENCES PER TOPIC.
NOTE 2: Please make sure you answer EACH item and LABEL each item (#1, #2, #3, etc) so that I can easily check that each item has been answered.
NOTE 3: Please do not attach a file to the conference–enter your reply into the text area provided.
NOTE 4: After you post your response, please review it to make sure it is formatted correctly and is easy to read.