Posted: May 17th, 2021
Positive and negative punishment | Psychology homework help
Positive and Negative Punishment
During this unit, we explore another basic principle of behavior—punishment. Punishment decreases behavior. Many misconceptions about punishment exist, but when used correctly, it is an important part of the learning process. Punishment is a consequence that follows a behavior and decreases the future likelihood of that behavior occurring again. Decreasing problem behaviors is a common task for behavior analysts, so it is important to understand how punishment works.
For this assignment, complete the following:
- Define both positive and negative punishment. Be sure to explain how they are similar and how they are different in your definitions.
- Provide two real-world, detailed examples of how positive punishment could be used to decrease behaviors you would like to see occur less often. Also, provide two real-world, detailed examples of how negative punishment could be used to decrease behaviors you would like to see occur less often. For example, a parent may use negative punishment by removing television privileges when his or her child curses. Another parent may use positive punishment by requiring the child to write the sentence “I will use nice words.” 100 times after cursing.
- Be sure to explain why the examples you chose illustrate that procedure.
- Written communication: Should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: References and citations are formatted according to current APA style guidelines.
- Resources: Minimum of 1–2 scholarly or professional resources.
- Length: 2–4 double-spaced pages, in addition to the title page and reference page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- SafeAssign: You are required to use SafeAssign before submitting the completed assignment to your instructor. Submit your work to SafeAssign as a draft, review the results, and make any needed changes. When you are ready, submit your assignment to the assignment area for grading.
Refer to the Positive and Negative Punishment Scoring Guide to ensure you understand the grading criteria for this assignment.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.
Portfolio Prompt: You may choose to save this learning activity to your ePortfolio.