compare and contrast essay, two book 2-3 pages
You will select and read two or three chapters from each text and write an essay (2-3) not including references, 1.5 spaces). In order to be successful on this assignment you must use proper in-text citations and references. I welcome your use of quotes from the text to illustrate your points. However, you must cite your quotes directly in-text and in the references (incorporating word for word text without quotations marks is considered plagiarism, and will result in no credit for this assignment).
In order to be successful, provide a thoughtful compare and contrast by answering the following questions (please be sure to note the particular chapters from each text that you’ve selected):
- 1. First, come up with a thesis statement outlining your perspective in the last sentence of the first paragraph (after providing a general overview describing the similarities and differences between the scenarios).
- 2. Compare social, cultural, political and economic factors shaping preparedness, response and recovery.
- For example, how has the socioeconomic status of the affected population or the overall economy of the country or territory shaped the ability of ordinary citizens and the government to prepare and respond effectively? How has it affected their ability to recover? Use direct quotes when relevant.
- 3. Population affected
- Are there similarities or differences in terms of the level of vulnerability and resilience/strength of the populations affected? Spell out in detail the ways in which these populations are both vulnerable and resilient. Use direct quotes when relevant.
- 4. Politics. Are there similarities and differences in the capacity for ordinary citizens and the government to respond to the population affected? Consider minority status, languages spoken, socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity and culture in your answer. Use direct quotes when relevant.
- 5. Compare the type of emergency (humanitarian crisis, natural disasters, etc.)
- Might responding to a humanitarian crisis, such as refugees fleeing from persecution (if applicable) require similar or different resources and government and non-profit support compared to a natural disaster? Use direct quotes when relevant.
- 6. Location
- If you are comparing a U.S. and a non-U.S. location, asks yourself whether language, culture, society and economic differences made an impact. If so, how? Use direct quotes when relevant.
- 7. Reflection. Does your comparison change the way you would personally prepare for a similar emergency? Does it raise issues that you had not considered before? If so, how would you change your personal preparedness plan based on these personal accounts?